This dish fits the bill perfectly. You need to prepare it the day before by marinating the lamb shanks. Then simply put in the oven 30 mins before you leave for a 4 hour spin with LCRC.
This dish packs in what you need to reload. Protein, Carbs, vitamins, antioxidants and tastes better than a recovery shake!
Nutrition per serving:
Energy (kcal) 720
Protein (g) 49
Carbs (g) 60
Of which are sugars (g) 17
Salt (g) 2.5
Fat (g) 29
of which are saturates (g) 10
Fibre (g) 4.5
Prep time - 5 mins, plus marinating time.
Cooking time - 4 hours.
For the Lamb:
4 lamb shanks
2cm peice of fresh ginger, peeled and grated.
2 x 400g tims chopped plumb tomatoes.
Zest and juice of 1 orange.
Zest and juice of 1 lemon.
250ml red wine.
Sprig of rosemary.
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 tsp ground cinnamon.
1 tsp ground cumin.
1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed.
1 stp peppercorns, crushed.
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg.
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar.
Bunch of fresh coriander leaves.
For the Couscous:
knob of butter.
1 tsp salt.
seeds from 3 cardamom pods, crushed.
25g flaked almonds, lightly roasted.
- Mix all ingredients or the lamb shanks (except the fresh coriander) together in a bowl and add the lamb shanks. Leave to marinate for up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas mark 7
- In a large casserole dish or deep oven tray place the four lamb shanks in a large casserole dish or deep oven try and pour the marinate over the shanks.
- Cover the dish with a lid or tightly seal the try with tin foil and cook in the hot oven for 20 - 30 minutes (until you can smell the cooking).
- Turn down the oven to 150C/Gas mark 2 and leave to slowly cook for 3.5 hours.
- When ready, take the dish out of the oven. The lamb shanks should be falling off the bone and there should be plenty of delicious sauce.
- Check the seasoning and add more if needed.
- Prepare the couscous by placing it in a bowl and adding the salt and butter. Pour over 300ml of boiling water and leave for 5 minutes (check the packet for exact quantity of water and how long to leave it).
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add the cardamom seeds and roasted almond flakes. Check for seasoning.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle the chopped fresh coriander over the lamb and serve with the couscous and a green salad.